Saturday 6 April 2013

The price of tyres et al


There is a new bicycle shop in Spitalfields (well, around the corner in Leyden Street) next to Cycle Surgery, Runners World, Tattoo-a-go-go and Cotswold Camping. It stocks Focus and Cervelo among others. It seems to be a posh shop with a bike fitting and fitness testing studio round the back.

I went out looking for tyres for my very old steel mountain bike at lunchtime. The original 25 year old tyres have perished and the tube is beginning to bubble through the tyre wall. All the shops in The City were looking for £25+ for a single tyre. As I only do about 10 miles a month on the bike along the Bognor front and it is 30 years old I didn’t want anything posh. Had to come back to the office and order from Evans online at £13.99 with free delivery.

I wanted to pay with an Evans gift voucher but when I got to the checkout page I didn’t have that option. It seems you can’t do that on the website so I had to telephone my order. Fortunately when you telephone you get the online price rather than the shop price.

I noticed that the Michelin P4 Service Cours were reduced 25% to £29.99 so I got a couple of them as well (in red) as I particularly like them and made up the rest of the order to the value of the voucher with inner tubes.

In fact the order was £86.95 and the voucher was for £85 and the guy on the phone waived the £1.95 as he said it would cost more to collect it than it was worth.

Good days shopping. Order will be delivered Monday and the wife is working from home Monday so should be home to take delivery. I won’t tell her it is coming so she and and my son will be keen to see what unauthorised purchases I have made when I get home Monday night. I can’t get in trouble for spending a gift voucher that was a gift – can I?

Ribble and Wiggle also have sales on today. I think the cycle stores are suffering from the effects of the cold weather as well.

 

No comments: