Saturday 6 April 2013

Guildford Peloton Mini Strava Challenge - Week 11 Results


 

 
 
A low scoring week no doubt due to poor weather and the lure of 6 Nations Rugby, F1, Milan-San Remo and the Scottish League Cup Final (disaster for Hearts L ) all on TV. Steve takes the stage win with ease with Jon in the Polka Dot jersey. In the GC Steve now holds a huge lead going into this week’s final stage. Barring a miracle he will metaphorically be sitting up drinking a glass of champagne and smiling for the cameras in the best TdF tradition.

The remaining podium places are still up for grabs with Justin in 3rd place nervously looking over his shoulder to see if he will be caught by Mike who is only 54.7 miles behind. Even though Steve has won all the Jerseys, tradition dictates he can ‘only’ wear the Yellow. So I will get the Green Jersey for points classification (which I have conveniently just invented, see below) and the Polka Dot jersey looks set to go to Mike - unless anyone is planning on taking the week off work and mounting a last gasp challenge….

Mini Strava Challenge
Week 11 - Monday 11/3/13 - Sunday 17/3/13
Name
No. of Rides
Miles Ridden
Climbing (ft)
Ranking - Miles
Ranking - KoM
Steve W
5
118.8
6,962
1
1
Jon S
1
66.5
3,948
2
2
Craig S
2
53.7
2,785
3
3
David C
1
49.7
2,094
4
4
Michael C
1
37.7
1,936
5
5
Justin C
0
0.0
0
8=
8=
Mike R
0
0.0
0
8=
8=
Duncan S
0
0.0
0
8=
8=
326.4
17725.0

Mini Strava Challenge
General Classification
Name
No. of Rides
Miles Ridden
Climbing (ft)
Ranking - Miles
Ranking - KoM
Steve W
54
1,160.8
57,170
1
1
David C
16
770.2
32,754
2
3
Justin C
19
605.3
27,784
3
4
Mike R
14
550.6
33,300
4
2
Michael C
15
325.3
18,093
5
6
Craig St
9
312.7
23,451
6
5
Duncan S
10
302.2
17,724
7
8
Jon S
4
268.5
17,880
8
7
4295.6
228156.0

Michael C  I had high hopes of a last ditch big ride this weekend to catch up but weather put paid to my ambition. Even with my new wheels riding in 2 inches of slush was not very nice!
 
Depending on the appetite of the group (and the anorak with the stats!) I’d be up for a new challenge starting from the end of this phase. Not that I have any hope of winning but I need the motivation if I’m not going to get dropped too quickly by my considerably older brother in the Etape du Tour – saying that I’m am slightly hopeful that the light nights and no commute up here in Edinburgh might allow me to make some small in roads in the big riders!!

David C to All:  I’m happy to continue to be “stato”if there is a demand for another 12 week challenge. All totals reset to zero?  Who’s in?

Duncan S I see an opportunity here to introduce a handicap system to encourage the big milers to keep on trying and the low milers to stay ahead of the game.

I propose we take everyone’s first quarter score and put a minus in front of it. Each week the scores get reported in the weekly chart but the General Classification chart everyone’s score gets added to the minus figure to reduce the deficit.

That means at the end of the quarter if you have done more miles than the previous quarter you become a positive figure (which shouldn’t be difficult this next quarter, weather permitting, unless you have an injury in which case a medical certificate will excuse you). If you are still in negative figures you suffer a forfeit (donation towards Guildford Peloton Summer BBQ)?

The idea would be that the low milers would always be looking over their shoulders at the big milers catching them up with an incentive to put in that extra ride to stay ahead, and the big milers to catch those minnows and eat them up.

New joiners start with an average figure.

What do you think?  (I think that we will see Steve’s 1 mile commute to work that is currently 17 miles suddenly get longer)

Steve W :  Duncan, So, let me see if I’ve understood you correctly. My reward for having gone out most days in some of the foulest weather that this country can throw at us is to start the new competition with a minus score equivalent to the miles that I’ve amassed through the worst quarter of the year. So, next quarter I need to do an average of 100 miles a week just to get to zero. I think that it should be the other way around. Those that have been the biggest pussies through the 1st quarter should be penalised for failing to man-up. However, I guess if that’s what it takes for you to beat a 58-year old asthmatic with a prosthetic hip and a recently healing ruptured Achilles tendon, then go for it. Not that I’d be bitter or anything!

Jon S:  Ooooh – do we get extra credit for achilles tendonitis? Count me in then.

Steve W :  John,Maybe a little one. I can come give you a good kick and completely rupture it, then you get more credit.

Duncan S:  Hi Steve, Steve Sorry my proposal isn’t going to suit. Just an idea from a nearly blind 53 year old with tenosynovitis in his right ankle just off of crutches and anti-inflammatory drugs and a still sore Achilles on the left side.  I just feel sorry for Jon who is going to get a kicking because of me. Sorry Jon.

See you Sunday Steve. I will bring my protective goggles and bodyguard. I just hope the weather (and the ground) is good enough for a stroll along the river there.

David C:  Ok so we’re all agreed. A new 12 week challenge starts next Monday with all totals reset to zero.

Steve W:  Duncan,  On Sunday bring your bike and I’ll take you for a quick spin before we have lunch!

Steve W Craig,  Here’s the weather that I was riding in yesterday…As someone said on a recent club ride, “it’s an outdoor sport, get over it!”

Craig C:  Count me in, as an only near-50 year old with no major ailments, living in one the worlds best environments for cycling (certainly is the past couple of months is anything to go by), and with the wife away back in the UK for the next three weeks, looks I could get a chance this quarter.

Mike R:  Blimey lots of mail to catch up on after a week end on the slopes. The weather was very similar to your sportive Steve!  I’m up for the next challenge. Will that be starting on Monday 25th or 1st???

Bad back and poorly motivated but only 42, Mike

David C:  Welcome back - new challenge starts Monday 25th .  Incidentally, have you given any thought to the Etape yet? Flights and accommodation still available…

Steve W:  Welcome back Mike. Good to know you've been out in the snow too. David,  I've entered the Etape. Just need to get fit enough for it now.

David C:  Steve, Well if you’re not fit enough there is no hope for the rest of us!

Steve W:  David, I may have been doing lots of miles, but the times have not been that great. I’m sure you could beat me on most sportives at the moment.

Micheal C:  Just throwing in my tuppence from up north, on the basis that everyone seems to have declared their medical history!  Only 40 (for the next few days anyway) 2 dodgy knees but hopefully no other medical ailments!  No excuses really. I just need to man up and get the miles in!

Steve W:  Michael, You’re not exactly in the best part of the UK though, especially at the moment if the weather reports are accurate!

No comments: