Monday 18 February 2013

Week 4 Guildford Peloton Challenge


 


Duncan to All - On tenterhooks here to see if I moved up at all. Where is the Monday morning posting of the weekend update for analysis?
My weekend ride was against the wind all the way (one way ride south-west) and seemed to be uphill all the way (900 metres of climb over 41 miles). My Garmin took me up some very muddy farm tracks around the back of the Devils punchbowl and now my bike is filthy (as usual) and in need of a very good clean. The chain is also squeaking so will need cleaning and lubricating – any volunteers?

At least I got the best of the day, not too cold and no rain until after I finished. I was shattered yesterday afternoon, fit for nothing, and was in bed asleep by 9:15 pm.
I was feeling good about my ride, self-righteous, it until I went to upload to Strava and saw that David and Steve had both snuck in two rides over the weekend in their private battle for supremacy..

And I see that John got a score on the door with a very strange ride in the Cotswolds (a lot of zig zagging?) and did more climbing than me over a similar ride length. What were you doing out that area John?
Had coffee with Bob Vineer on Saturday morning in Camberley (my son was at a Yugioh contest in Camberley and I was the nominated driver). I think Bob needs an impetus to train harder (not that I need another person beating me), so maybe you want to join the challenge Bob?

David to All - Steve takes the stage and stretches his lead in the race for the Maillot Jaune. I’m still in the polka dots despite hilly rides from Duncan and Jon who gets off the mark this week with a big climbing performance.

Steve to All - Sunday was definitely not the day to be completing a ride that was totally south-west! I chose a ride that headed south west, but then was really pleased to have the wind at my back for the return. Definitely a ride of two halves!
The weekend rides were interesting since it was my first experience of flood conditions in places. On our Saturday club run I was just about to congratulate our lead on the day for selecting a route that kept us away from any snow remnants, but then we rounded a corner and were faced with a lake where the road used to be. We sent one rider into the new lake at Verney Junction and then got him to phone us from the other side (the lake was so large and extended around the corner of the road that we couldn’t see the opposite shore!). When the pilot rider reported back that the water had come up almost to his knees (and was freezing cold) the rest of us back-tracked to find a drier route. At the time I thought well that’s a few extra miles for the January challenge.

Good to see Jon out (one of my colleagues (Alex) from Team MK did the Woodcote CX sportive), but surely those miles don’t count towards the challenge because it’s not proper bike riding is it?
I’m now following Bob Vineer on Strava, but just awaiting a ride to be logged so that we have something to follow! Come on Bob, get on your bike!

Duncan to All - The field is begginning to spread out. I am goping to have to do a couple of hundred mile rides this weekend to catch up (like I am going to be able to do that).
 
David to All - Not that spread out, anyone so inclined could go out and do an epic 6 hour ride and take the yellow. Keeps it interesting but my money is on Steve, in fact I’ve got an appointment with his Doctor next week…some Italian fellow, name sounds like a racing car..Lamoborghini? Maserati? No… Ferrari that’s it… ;)

Duncan to David - Are you implying that we will see Steve in the chair across from Oprah pouring out his heartfelt apologies? I see him more as a Wiggo without the sideburns.

Steve to All - Ok, I admit it, I have been taking drugs all through January. Mostly Ibuprofen, but with some other stuff. However, I have not yet failed any doping tests.  Thanks also to David for keeping the scores and the interest going. I gave to admit that it has spurred me on to do slightly more rides than I would normally do at this time of year.


Steve takes the stage and stretches his lead in the race for the Maillot Jaune. I’m still in the polka dots despite hilly rides from Duncan and Jon who gets off the mark this week with a big climbing performance.

Mini Stava Challenge
Week 4 - Monday 21/1/13 - Sunday 27/1/13
Name
No. of Rides
Miles Ridden
Climbing (ft)
Ranking - Miles
Ranking - KoM
Steve W
2
83.6
4,075
1
1
David C
2
77.0
3,621
2
2
Justin C
2
54.2
2,591
3
5
Duncan S
1
41.4
3,049
4
4
Jon S
1
40.9
3,539
5
3
Michael C
2
35.7
2,020
6
6
Mike R
0
0.0
0
=7
=7
Craig S
0
0.0
0
=7
=7
Mini Stava Challenge
Totals
Name
No. of Rides
Miles Ridden
Climbing (ft)
Ranking - Miles
Ranking - KoM
Steve W
14
316.3
15,871
1
1
David C
7
252.9
11,217
2
2
Justin C
7
188.2
8,505
3
3
Duncan S
4
112.2
7,203
4
4
Michael C
7
107.1
6,258
5
5
Mike R
2
73.9
2,619
6
8
Craig S
2
59.2
3,947
7
6
Jon S
1
40.9
3,539
8
7

No comments: