Wednesday 23 June 2010

June 22nd 2010 Who gravelled the road in Richmond Park?

Saturday I did 48 miles in the Surrey Hills with Big G. He hasn't been training much recently and has dropped out of the Etape even though he has the best number of any of the Guildford Peloton this year. We stopped at the tea shop at box hill to catch up on life, the universe and everything.

I cycled to St Albans on Sunday. I don't know why but the 33 miles was like cycling in treacle. I used my granny cog on numerous occasions and there was only 300 metres of climbing. It took me 2 hours 20 minutes even though I was on the A41 dual carriageway (it was like riding on the M1) some of the way

I don't know if it was the 20 miles turbo spinning Thursday followed by three reps of 5 X 1.5 minutes flat out in a heavy gear total 20 miles turbo Friday, followed by 47 miles and 1100 metres climbing Saturday afternoon in the Surrey Hills (surely all that would not make my legs tired?); or just that there was a raging headwind from the North against me the whole way.

Monday I had a well deserved rest day.

Tuesday I was back in the garage on the threshing machine doing reps again which meant this evening when I managed to get home early enough from work to get to Richmond Park my legs were tired and the four laps were done at a steady pace.

Who has gravelled the road in Richmond Park? It is appalling. Loose gravel all over the road meaning that the surface isn't good to ride, you need to be careful not to slip, and the dust as cars go by is like riding in a dust storm. I hope this is only temporary. I bet a few cars are getting damaged with the stones being thrown up.

With all these short rides I am going to be really good for the first 25 miles of the Etape, the the rest will be a horrible mess.

No comments: