Sunday 13 June 2010

Weekend June 6th 2010

I rode to Bognor from Home on Saturday and stayed in Bognor with the family Saturday night. The trip down wasn't too bad and I covered the 58 miles in just under 4 hours without the shattered feeling I had the previous week.

I rode back from Bognor Sunday.

As I wasn't leaving until 4:15 pm Sunday afternoon and it takes 4 hours I didn't have time to ride all the way home. I knew my wife and son were leaving at 5:00 pm so I said to her that I would go ahead and when she caught me I would get into the car the rest of the way home.

There was a great tailwind which really helped me to spin the pedals and she didn't catch me for 28.8 miles (a couple of miles short of Ockley). I had averaged over 18 mph for that 28.8 miles (including climbing up the hill at Arundel).

It was nice knowing that she was behind me and really gave me confidence to push on to try to get as far as possible and knowing that I woud only be doing 20 to 30 miles. As I got nearer to Ockley I was getting worried that I would get to Ockley before she caught me then I would have to go up to Coldhabour and at that point I might as well ride all the way home.

When she caught me she said "How did you get so far, I have been looking out for you for the last 15 miles and I thought I had missed you".

No comments: