Thursday 11 December 2008

December 7th 2008 Winter Wonderland

Sunday morning M and I ventured out at 8:00 am to the icy lanes of Surrey. The temperature was below zero and the grass was all icy where Jack Frost had done his worst, and he had even managed to cover the roads.

We like to think we were like the “Torvil & Dean” of the cycling world, riding on ice, others may unkindly have described it as the “Laurel and Hardy”.

It was dastardly cold and we wrapped up warm and worked hard to build up some heat, and no matter how good your gloves were you were going to get cold hands.

As we were both on tight curfews from our wives it was a quick 31 miles around to Mont Box and back. I was home by 10:15 am. I must say that I felt in good form. I am not sure if it was the training sessions I had done during the week (on the rowing machine, see below) or the fact that I hadn’t been out Saturday so had extra energy, or just that I knew it had to be a short ride which was well within my capabilities.

M had been out on Saturday and had done a hard but short ride and he was not quite in such good form, so rather than chasing him along the A217 from Banstead to Cheam (a lovely fast 4 mile bit of road if you are going in the right direction), it was me setting the pace, somewhat slower than he usually sets.

We made it back without incident, no punctures this week, no slips on ice and no accidents. Others weren’t quite so lucky. One of the Guilford Pootle-on was in a collision with a white van and only just managed to struggle home before his derailleur gave up the ghost. Another Pootle-on’er reported that a bunch from her club had a number of slips on the ice and one member was still in hospital while others had pelvic bruising, something I painfully remember from last November.

My sons exam results started to come through. The results are a mixed bag that prompted us to request a meeting with the teacher. This has not been a catalyst to household harmony especially as the more you try to talk to him about it the more smart remarks you receive back. Bah, 8 year olds! At least he did well in French. We await the end of term report!

It is the school carol service this week and he made the last three in the trials for the solo spot (a bit like X Factor at the school). He did not get selected but a pleasing result to get that far. He will be singing in the junior choir on the night and we will be there to watch.

He also won his football on Saturday. At half time they were only one goal up, but in the second half they fielded the stronger players and won 6-0. That is the end of the autumn season and they are undefeated in the league and the cup. Next week is a match brought forward from March next year.

Training wise I have decided that a bit of cross training is required. I used to be an oarsman but haven’t been in a boat for two years now (not since Kingston Head 2006). As both rowing and cycling use the thigh muscles I decided it was time to get back to doing a few 10 kilometre rows on the rowing machine at the gym. This will strengthen not only the legs but the back and give the upper body a workout. I got two in last week, very slow but it is rewarding to get back. I also did two short (one 30 min and one 60 min) sessions on the static bike. On that front it looks like my power has been rising and I am back over 200 watts average for the hour (but at average heart rate of 150 plus, cadence 90 rpm).

Pootle-on everyone but be careful out there!

No comments: