Monday 22 December 2008

December 21st The Shortest Day

I only managed one gym session this week. My son was at his grandparents so I took the opportunity to get an extra long session in with a 10 K ergo, some light rep weights followed by an hour on the bike.

It was a very slow start on the ergo and at halfway it was looking like a record slow row, but with 12 minutes to go a young lady got on the next machine and set it up for a 2000 metre row. I decided to step up the pace and see if I could catch her. Despite trying, the heart rate was at maximum and the rating had gone up from 20 to 30 I didn’t quite manage it but I did manage to catch up with my usual times and knock two seconds off from the previous week’s time.

When I got home I was in trouble with “Er Indoors” for being out so late. The brownie points from taking her to the cinema the previous night to see James Bond obviously not valid.

The rest of the week was full of good intentions but no action.

Saturday I went out on my own around the Surrey Hills. I briefly toyed with the idea of joining the Dynamos run in Richmond Park but could not face the chance that I might get dropped off the back of the slow group.

I went out through Chessington and Leatherhead to Effingham, turned off the A246 up Beech Avenue then up High Barn. I remembered this road from the SWRC 100 last year. What I didn’t remember was the 1:7 hill which was wet and muddy and as I went up the back wheel kept spinning.

I then went along Ranmore Common, down to Westhumble, up Mont Box and along to the junction with the Dorking Road. I decided to add a bit of a challenge s went down Pebble Hil, along the A25 to Reigate then up Reigate Hill and followed the A217 home. Whereas on the way out it felt like the bike was dragging, the wind was obviously behind me on the way home along the A217 as I was belting along over 20 mph all the way. A nice way to finish the ride.

I did 39.8 miles, just short of 40 and I was pleased with that.

I spent Saturday afternoon with my son at Craven Cottage watching Foolham FC Vs Middlesboro. We got free tickets as my son is doing a Fulham football course this week. The stadium was full and the final score Fulham 3:0 Middlesboro. We don’t go very often but Fulham always does well when we go, whereas The Bees (Brentford FC) where we are going on Boxing Day to watch them play Bournemouth, always struggles.

Sunday I went out with M. It had to be quick and early as I had to be back to go up to the British Museum with the family to get ideas for my sons holiday homework, we have to build a Tutankhamen’s sarcophagus. Now some families who have older kids in the school have been digging out the sarcophagus’ that had been made for them, and then doing a bit of restoration (I saw one that was being restored that an au-pair had made a few years ago, excellent craftsmanship but did the child appreciate it?). We don’t have that luck so we are going to have to start from scratch, and no one in our house is artistic except my daughter and she is away at university.

There is a business opportunity for some enterprising teenager who is into crafts/artistic to make these and sell them to the families like us.

Next year we understand that we have to build a motte and bailey castle and village. Parents talk with anxiety and trepidation of the hours and effort that have to go into that project.

Back to the cycling with M. We did 33 Miles out through Cobham and Stoke D’Abenon to Box and then back through Tadley and Epsom racecourse.

I had another front wheel Puncture on Box Hill. Looks like time for a new tyre. I will have to visit the bike shop this week.

As we came into Worcester Park we stopped at Costa Coffee where my wife and son usually go after church on a Sunday. This, of course, was the only Sunday they had gone straight home to wait for me to go up to London. When I telephoned them from the coffee shop with my coffee in front of me I knew I was in trouble. When am I ever going to be in credit on those brownie points?

Sunday night my brother lent me his imagic top of the range trainer. I am looking forward to seeing what difference modern technology has on those turbo rides in the garage.

The Wife is busy at work this week, my son is on a football course at Fulham and I have a list as long as your arm which includes buying the turkey and Christmas food shopping, starting/finishing Christmas present shopping, digging out a trellis in the garden and taking a load of rubbish to the dump. Not much chance of a sneaky bike ride.

No comments: