Sunday 21 December 2008

December 14th What a washout

I managed two 10 kilometre rowing ergs in the gym during the week. Getting faster (but scores are still not anywhere near where they should be) and quite enjoying getting back into rowing on the machines.

Saturday I was intending to go out on my own, however, when I got up it was pouring with rain, no point in cycling. Shortly after we received a telephone call to say that the football was called off.

We decided there was no alternative so we arranged to take my son and his mate to the cinema to watch Madagascar 2 followed by MacDonalds. Actually not a bad film as kids films go.

Sunday I had arranged to go out with M but when I got up at 7:15 am I had a text saying he was sick so was not going to be riding. I decided as I was up and dressed in my cycling gear that I would no waste the opportunity to get in a few miles and decided I would go out with The London Dynamos.

Only 6 of us turned up at Hampton Court Bridge at 9:00 AM although we did see a big posse of Dynamos ride past but we were not sure if they were the 8:00 am ride or on their way to a race. They just waived as they went past.

We went off at quite a pace. After about 15 miles we started going up the serious hills towards Shere. Going up the hills my glasses steamed up and legs ceased to work and I kept falling behind. This was very disheartening. At the top of the ridge before going down into Shere one of the lads decided to turn back. As we got down to the A25 I decided that I was not going to be able to keep up the pace going up the hills into Peaslake and up to Leith so I decided to take the slightly shorter route along the A25 and through Abinger to Leith.

As I went through Gomshall there was a puddle I had to cycle through which was up to my bottom bracket and resulted in very wet feet. The waterproof neoprene overshoes keeping the water in.

Shortly thereafter I had a choice of turning off the A25 right up Leith hill via Abinger or left up the 18% hill of Critten Lane. I decided that I was too wet, cold and tired to do Leith so I turned left up the hill. As I was going up another cyclist stopped me and told me that there was a flood at the top of Critten Lane just before the junction with Ranmore Common Road. He told me to lift my bike over the locked gate into the field, climb over, go diagonally across the field and then go over another locked gate into Ranmore Common Road. When I got to the top there was the puddle with a reasonably new Volvo estate stranded in the middle, puddle half way up the doors as the 4 X 4’s splashed past. I did as the cyclist recommended and tramped across the muddy field (after having a good but cruel laugh at the Volvo driver).

After riding home I had managed 48 miles.

In the afternoon I had to go to friends Christmas drinks. I had obviously caught a chill as I was shivering even though the house was warm (loads of babies at this party) and I was wearing two pullovers. I was also very, very tired.

Later I had to drive my son up to MK to stay with his Grandparents for a few days. I was so tired watching Chris Hoy with the BBC Sports Personality of the Year award. Well done Chris.

No comments: