Wednesday 5 November 2008

Cross Country - oh no!

I received confirmation that my entry for the inter-banks cross country in Richmond Park on November 19th went in - rather unfortunately. I emailed the organiser of the HBOS team with the excuse that I had done my back in and that I had not been able to train but he was quite happy for me to run anyway.

So, as I have to do this cross country I thought I had better start training for it. At lunchtime I jogged down to Westminster bridge and back (about 4+ miles). It took me some 42 minutes whereas it used to take me 34 minutes only 4 years ago - a full 42.5% regression. I was going so slow I was overtaken by a number of people whereas no one used to overtake me, I even got overtaken by a woman!

I was worried about my back going again. This afternoon I can feel twinges but as yet it has not ceased up. We shall see how it feels in the morning.

When I got back to the gym after the run I did 1000 metres on the ergo (rowing machine) and 20 minutes on the bike to finish off the session and followed that up with a roast gammon dinner with roast potatoes, veg and gravy at my desk( he boss was away today so no one keeping tabs on my time).

So, if anyone can do me a programme that, if I follow, will enable me to achieve sub 5 minute miles on the day and not get injured in the training running up to the event - or suggest an inappropriate cocktail of performance enhancing drugs and pain supressants that will have the same effect, then let me know.

No comments: