Monday 28 February 2011

Weekend Feb 12th and 13th

On Friday my son was following the traditions of the family and went to casualty as he fell over in the school playground and has hurt his arm. Not the first time he has been ther and wobn't be the last I suspect. They discharged him without x-raying him. I think he may have cracked a bone as he is still complaining about it but we will see. We strapped it up with an elasticated bandage over the weekend. Not much they can do about it really I suppose, just wait for it to heal.

Saturday I myself was at the hospital at 8:00 am for an MRI on my shoulder (it has been sore for a month), then I went to watch my son play football (they lost again as they have every match bar one this seaon), then after lunch we went down to Bognor. There we did badminton at the local leisure centre with friends then had fish and chips around our friends house. Not a late night.

Sunday I got out on the bike (the Benotto) about 8:15 am. I have put the Ultegra front wheel on the Benotto rather than bother to change the front tyre after a puncture a fortnight ago. You might remember that the Ultegra back wheel was mashed May last year on the HHH when the chain broke and the derailleur went into the spokes, so the front has been sitting around on its own in the garage. Sunday was wet and windy but I went out through Arundel, over Bury Hill then on through Pulborough and along to the Toat CafĂ©. I didn’t stop but turned around and rode home along the A29 past Fontwell Race Course. 37 Miles in total (59 km 600 metre of climb). Despite the weather I enjoyed the ride but was a bit tired when I got home.

Talking about Benotto's, I was watching the Paris Roubaix 1974 ("A Day in Hell") from YouTube whilst turboing the other day and was pleased to see film of a team using Benottos in that race.

As I was going up Bury hill from the Pulborough side my phone started ringing. It is 14%+ hill and I wasn’t going to answer it as I was struggling on the hill, especially as the Benotto has a standard set up rather than a compact. It kept on ringing again and again all the way up the hill. I stopped at the top and sorted it out. My son had sent a text on my other phone to his mates in Bognor and they were trying to get in touch with him. It was very distracting and annoying when I was trying to concentrate.

Sunday lunchtime we went to a local Conservative party drinks event in a posh house on one of the private estates. Not our usual thing but our friends in Bognor are wheeler dealers and go because of the contacts to be made there. We tagged along. The local MP was hosting the bash in a private house and it was actually very pleasant chatting to the locals on local issues. The kids were well behaved and won a few raffle prizes which kept them happy. There was quite a lot of banker bashing in the discussion. I kept my mouth shut for once but The wife asked a question.

We then went to our friends for a nice roast lunch then left Bognor at 17:00 to drive home.

No comments: