Monday 9 August 2010

Squash - a prodigy?

My ten year old son has been nagging me to take him to play squash for some weeks but I didn't have a second racket. A couple of weekends ago I managed to buy a titanium squash racket at a car boot sale (for £2.00, hardly used).

On Friday night last I took him to Cheam Baths to play squash for the first time. To start with he was trying to play tennis (using his shoulder rather than using his wrist) and couldn't hit the ball. By the end of an hour he was not only rallying but trying to bounce the ball around the corners with some success. He keeps telling everyone he nearly beat me, it is embarrassing because in a couple of weeks he may well be in that position.

At the end of one and a half hours playing we left but he is keen to play again.

As a result I took him down to the New Malden Tennis and Squash club on Saturday morning. They have county and national juniors there and do coaching for the youngsters on Saturday and Sunday mornings. If I coach him he will be as bad as me. If he has got any talent then at least there they will draw it out of him and he will learn to play properly.

He is desperate to play Big G and my other mates because he is sure he can beat them. All I can say is if he does decide to accept coaching they had better watch out.

No comments: