Tuesday 8 December 2009

December 6th 2009 Wet Weekend

The weekends are quite busy this year. This past weekend for example:

Friday I had an exam that was a real stinker. I managed to write for the whole three hours but it was a load of garbage. I recognised the concepts required to answer the questions but didn't manage to get the answers down on paper very coherently or in a structured manner. It was so bad that I came out of the exam straight to the pub on my own as I needed a drink and some time to think.

My son had had exams the previous Thursday, Friday, Monday and Tuesday at school but he didn't have the option of going to the pub. Hopefully his exams went better than mine.

Saturday morning I had to get the Christmas decorations out of the loft then my son and I had football, a cup match. The weather held off and we won 5-0 (I say "we" because I am team assistant manager and I had to referee the second half). Hopefully that puts us through to the next round (initial stages of the cup are on league basis, only the latter stages are knockout). Of course we cycled there and back (two miles each way) on the recently acquired tandem.

Saturday PM was my usual weekly trip to the supermarket. Our weekly shop seems to be increasing dramatically in price all the time despite the fact we are being told there is deflation in the UK. I then had to get the ladder out to put up the external Christmas lights and clear out the guttering which has been overflowing for a few weeks and which my wife was complaining was wakiung her in the night. Our house is two storey and I was quite nervous up the ladder as two friends have fallen off ladders in the last month, one died leaving a wife and two daughters and the other was in hospital for a few days with a broken arm and concussion.

My son and my wife put up the decorations in the house including the tree (come December 1st my son insists we have the tree up)

Putting up decorations only serves to remind me to get started on the Christmas cards. Those of you who are used to getting Christmas cards from me early December are probably wondering where the cards are this year, well, time, work, exams, etc have defeated me so far but the writing of cards is on my to-do list. Please bear with me.

As for buying Christmas presents, there a couple of weeks yet before I have to start that. The longer you wait the less choice there is in the stores and so the easier it is to buy. That's my logic anyway. Actually the last couple of years my daughter has come out with me but I don't think that is going to happen this year.

I was supposed to go cycling with my mate Big G on Sunday but it was raining first thing so I took my son to the cinema with his cousin to see "Nativity" followed by a trip to Burger King. It is a good film. Made by the guys from "The Office" and very amusing and watchable.

After I got home I got permission from my wife and went out cycling on my own at 3:00 PM. I only went a total mileage of 27 miles but as I got to the furthest point, Box Hill, it got dark and it poured with rain. The tea shop was just shutting so I tempted fate and didn't stop. I didn't have any lights and it was a bit dangerous especially on the busy A217 dual carriageway but even though I was soaking and nervous of the traffic in the dark I was enjoying my first ride for a month. Got home for a quick shower then off to the evening service at the local church.

I couldn't have fitted anything else in if I had tried.

No comments: