Wednesday 3 June 2009

June 3rd 2009: Glorious Summer Weather

This morning I had an orthodontist appointment at 8:00 AM in Teddington / Hampton Hill. To avoid the traffic I cycled there on my old 1980s steel Peugeot 501 (after repairing the puncture again, it turned out I had made a poor job of repairing the puncture the first time and air was leaking from under the patch, Note: I still haven't replaced the old 1980s tyre).

At 7:40 AM as I was locking my bike up outside the dental surgery when my phone rang (see, I do use the lock, I don't just use it for ballast in my saddlebag going uphill). The phone call was from the surgery advising me that the orthodontist had been taken into hospital so my appointment needed rearranging. I went into reception and re booked my appointment.

As it was such a beautiful heavenly morning and I had taken a half days holiday to go to my sons Piano recital this afternoon and I had my bike I decided to take the long way home. Off I went to Hampton Court, Esher, Leatherhead, Box Hill, Tadworth, Epsom Race Course (a hive of activity getting ready for the Derby this weekend), Banstead, Cheam and home. A total of 37 miles (don't forget on a heavy bike and carrying my trusty saddlebag with tools and lock) at a leisurely pace.

Box Hill was deserted, just the odd cyclist coming down, and not a Brompton in sight. The tea shop was only just opening as I went past so I didn't stop.

I popped in to Corridori (bike shop) which was also deserted and had a chat with the owner as it was so quiet. I wanted to know if I had accidentally left my helmet in the shop Saturday, I hadn't. It is still missing.

All together I had a good morning and was at my desk at home by 9:45 AM. Why can't all mornings be like this? Was anyone else enjoying the sunshine or were you all tied to your desks?

Talking of Bromptons, after seeing that guy climbing the Ventoux on a Brompton I have been in touch with the Brompton Owners Club in respect of the 2010 Reccie. We are in advanced talks for a combined Brompton Owners Club / Guildford Peloton Reccie trip 2010, however, they are insisting that the Guildford Peloton will have to form a Brompton Section affiliated to them and that all riders will be required to ride Bromptons (so no more carbon or titanium unless Brompton change their construction materials in the coming months), wear suits and tie (Moss Bros not Rapha and no lycra) and instead of saddle bags you will require a rack and briefcase. I don't think that these conditions are unreasonable but I thought I had better canvass club opinion before tying the Guildford Peloton into riding the Alp D'huez on a Brompton next year.

There is one advantage of this plan, you won't need the bike boxes, just fold up your Brompton and carry it as hand luggage.

No comments: