Tuesday 30 September 2008

Early morning rides don't agree with me

I left the hotel at 5:15 AM in the morning - before dawn, on the trusty BH steed. It was a bit chilly and most riders had long sleeves and tights whilst I have only got summer kit so was dressed in shorts and short sleeves. I got to Centennial Park here in Sydney, their equivalent of Richmond Park I suppose (but a lot smaller) and met the guy I was to ride with. We proceeded to ride around the almost flat but windy 3.8 Km circuit. Lots of other riders on shiny bikes with Cervelos and Pinarellos in abundance. First lap 31 Kph, 2nd lap 34 kph, third lap 37 kph, fourth lap 38 (with me at this point having to desparately wheel hug).

I ended up doing 7 laps including two short hill climbs just off of the circuit (well, I did two hill climbs, the other guy did three whilst I sloped (hill/slope, joke, get it?) off to do my last two laps a bit slower on my own). I understand that he did his usual 10 laps in the end.

I was back in the hotel at 7:10 AM, in plenty of time to meet my colleague for a 7:30 breakfast.

I was shattered at my desk with sore legs and no interest in the piece of work I was supposed to be doing and a long evening of business phone calls back to blighty ahead.

No comments: