Monday 15 October 2007

Sept 14th 2007 Preparation for the Tour of Kent and the Tour of the New Forest

Any body out there?

No doubt you Guilford Peloton members will have at this point have finished your preparation on the road for the Tour of Kent with just a gentle ride today and tomorrow to keep the legs moving. You will have polished and oiled the bike, torque'd all the bolts and washed and ironed your chosen kit ready to lay it out Saturday night ready for Sunday. Your bodies are no doubt honed and ready to peak on Sunday. Just don't forget your shoes, gloves and helmets on Sunday.

I will be reading the press on Monday expecting headlines along the lines of "New cycling team emerges to take to prize in Tour of Kent"

Myself, I have done 90 miles (ridden to work three times, however, spoiled it this morning with big fry up in the canteen) in the last 8 days with an extra half hour in the gym to top it up in preparation for the Tour of the New Forest on Sunday. An undulating 28 miles through the scenic countryside dragging a whingeing 7 year old on a tag-a-long and trying to ignore the wife's asthmatic yelling "slow down, it is not the bl**dy Tour de France" as she trails behind on her touring cycle.

One spanner in the works is that the bike I will be using Sunday (a hybrid) has a buckled front wheel where, whilst on holiday in France in August, I drove into a height restriction in a car park entrance whilst the bike was on the roof of the car. Not only did it buckle the wheel but I ruined my roof bars, my cycle carriers and dented the roof of the car. Fortunately there was also a hired bike on the roof and the seat post of that bike took the brunt of the damage away from my bike and my wife's touring bike. As I went through the entrance there was a massive bang followed by three bikes falling off the back of my car. Good job the cycle carries were flimsy and I had not tightened them up much as it was only a short journey.

News from my mate Big G who has bought himself a Look 595 (jealous me? no way, Green with envy maybe, but I will be rewarding myself with a new Look cycle in March if I have managed to convince the wife that I can do the Etap in 2008). He is really enjoying riding it and is using his holiday this week and next training in the Surrey hills getting ready to join us on our Etap quest 2008. A prospective new member for the Guilford Pelaton (what is the status of those shirts at the moment?).

Any body up for the South Downs Challenge next Sunday? http://www.southdowns-challenge.co.uk/ I quite fancy the 50 mile route. Let me know.

No comments: